How To Make Pottery Gift Tags or Tree DecorationsDec 17, 2021
Which parent doesn't like a well-wrapped present with an awesome gift tag under the Christmas tree? Especially if the gift tag is made by their child. Or maybe a sweet homemade Christmas decoration to remember time spent with you as their babysitter? These great pottery gift tags or Christmas decorations can be made as an afternoon activity with the children you look after in the run-up to Christmas and can be given to the parents after the booking for them to adorn Granny or Auntie's Christmas pressie or put on the tree as they wish!
- Air Drying Clay or Mix 2 cups flour, 2 cups salt, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, and 3/4 cup water to make dough mixture to bake
- Cookie Cutters
- Recycled Cardboard
- Poster paints and paintbrush
- Rolling Pin
- Marker Pen
1) Take your dough mixture or your air-drying clay and roll it flat to about 1cm using a rolling pin on your breadboard.
2) Take your cookie cutters or your cardboard shapes and cut the shapes out of the pottery mixture.
3) Using the back of your paintbrush make a hole through each shape. Leave enough space for some ribbon to pass through.
4) If using the air-drying clay leave your shapes on a board to dry overnight ( 5-6 hours drying time)
5) If using the dough mixture, bake them in the oven at 130 deg C or 250 deg F. The baking time will depend on how thick each shape is so just check it every 20 minutes or so.
6) Once the shapes are hard you can start painting them any colour the children like and in any pattern.
7) When they are dry you can help the children to cut some ribbon and attach it to each shape. Leave enough length for the shape to either hang from the tree or be used as a gift tag.
8) Use a marker to let the child write a message on the back or put their name and the date it was made on the back if it is going to be a Christmas tree decoration.
What did you decide to do with the shape you made?
Don't miss a thing!
New articles, classes and updates delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.